This is a journal from the SV Brown Eyed Girl, which left Maine in the Fall of 2009 to sail around the world.

Map


View SVBEG in a larger map

Monday, February 15, 2010

No good deed....

From Jared:

No good deed goes unpunished. I've never really liked this expression but in my journeys and my dealings with people, I have found this to be so often the case. It goes against my Christian faith and my belief that the world becomes a better place with every kind action that we impart upon each other. So, when dad fell hard on a slippery deck of a boat (tearing his tendon connecting his bicep to his forearm) because he had decided to be nice and clean a gigantic mahi (that mom had played so well for so long and landed) and then decided to give the cleaned filets to about 1/2 dozen people (poor workers around the marina for the most part); it made me question the nature of the order of things. One minute, we were there content in a deed well done and enjoying meeting some nice locals with smiles on their faces brought on by the anticipation of a good mahi dinner and then the next minute, we are making emergency arrangements for a flight out of Ecuador for emergency surgery on his arm. Dad is under the knife as I write this and mom is there by his side. Prayers appreciated. We are looking at no less than six weeks of recovery for the Capt. and very light duty for him. Yeah, right. I've never met a worse patient than a doctor, especially the old man. I'm going to the hardware store to buy a roll of gorilla tape to keep the Captain strapped in at his helm and away from daily tasks.

One side of me says it could have been worse had he hit his head on the stairs of the transom when he fell (mom thought a boat had struck us when she heard the fall). But there's that side of me that says my folks have dreamed and worked hard for this journey for 40 years of their life and for dad to get hurt doing a good thing for people in need, makes me sad. This to shall pass and the good crew and Captain shall rally on. We always do. Captain, if you a waking up from surgery; I want you to know the great people of the Rally have been inquiring and sending their love and I am, too.

Tom and I have been busy doing one job after another on the boat. I won't bore you with all the details but it has helped to keep our spirits up (or a least our minds off the Captain's accident) a little as we are getting parts made for the motor, refrigeration fixed, sails checked and rigged properly, haul cleaned, and myriad other tasks crossed of the list. Carnival is going on down here and Tom and I managed to get out for a bit last night and join in on their crazy custom of waging wore with large canisters of high-pressure foam. Tom and I were ambushed by some banditos and promptly bought some canisters and hunted the individuals down. Ecuador won its first and last battle against the U.S.. The little devils know to break your can and then sorround you as you try in vain to fire back. We got in a few good shots before we retreated, laughing all the way, covered head to toe in foam. I think Brazil's Carnival will be a little more to my liking. My fiancee, Mercedes, may not like it much, though.

All in all Salinas and La Libertad is ugly, dirty, and the streets are mean. Ecuador has much more to offer but I've yet to venture east because of the aforementioned issues. I shall never plan to return to once we head for the Galapagos but the Marina is nice with an excellent rice and shrimp platter for 5 dollars and yes, internet! Tom and I are planning a trip to a jungle park I have researched and then maybe to Quayaquil tomorrow. Godspeed to the Captain and the lady in their return.

"Brown-Eyed Girl" out

No comments:

Post a Comment